From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot/grub and grub2 directories
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 07:39:13
1 On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I was cleaning out my /boot directory.  It's on its own partition and I
4 > remove outdated kernels and configs etc every once in a while. I was
5 > noticing that I have two grub directories.  Based on time stamps, I
6 > think I can delete the plain grub directory and I'm pretty much certain
7 > grub2 is the current and active grub directory.  Is it safe to remove
8 > the old grub directory?  Nothing in it has been touched that the time
9 > stamps show in a long while.  The grub2 directory was when I did my last
10 > kernel update.
11 >
12 > I just want to be certain before I remove the directory.  More info
13 > below.
14
15 Yes, but to be on the safe side, rename it rather than removing it. GRUB
16 will look in either /boot/grub or /boot/grub2, from your setup it looks
17 like it goes for grub2 first.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 All right, set phasers to deep fat fry!