From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild: How to deal with external repositories properly (best practise)?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:53:08
1 On 2020-07-28 12:02+0200 Ramon Fischer <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hello tastytea,
4 >
5 > I am aware of this "workaround", thank you. :)
6 >
7 > I guess, I was not precise enough:
8 >
9 > The ebuild "drm_master_util-9999"[1] is hosted on my repository, but
10 > the ebuild file itself pulls in an external repository[2].
11
12 Sorry, I misread your first email.
13
14 > My question is: Is it a best practise to fork the external
15 > repository[2], to link my fork with "drm_master_util-9999"[1], so I
16 > have full control about updating the fork. Just to check, that the
17 > external source is not doing shenanigans?
18
19 I would use either EGIT_COMMIT from git-r3.eclass¹ or download a
20 snapshot via SRC_URI².
21
22 ¹ <https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-reference/git-r3.eclass/index.html#lbAF>
23 ² <https://github.com/gch1p/drm_master_util/archive/<COMMIT-HASH>.tar.gz>