From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still questions concerning a reasonable setup of a new system: UEFI &&/|| MTBR
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:06:27
1 On 03/28 08:49, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 07:19:56 +0100, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > From what I read on the internet:
5 > > Everything bigger than 2TB needs to be GPT-formatted.
6 > > Is there anything better than gparted for that job?
7 > >
8 > > So I need to format the harddisc with a GPT.
9 > >
10 > > The SSD:
11 > >
12 > > 1.) From the pure technical point of view: Is it possible to
13 > > format the SSD with a good ole MTB and boot the system
14 > > from it and mount the hardisc (GPT) as usual?
15 > > 2.) Is this reasonable?
16 >
17 > Why would you want to use the archaic MS-DOS partition table with all its
18 > restrictions and fragility when you have the more flexible and robust GPT
19 > option.
22 > --
23 > Neil Bothwick
24 >
25 > Y'know how s'm people treat th'r body like a TEMPLE?
26 > Well, I treat mine like 'n AMUSEMENT PARK... S'great...
29 Hi Neil,
30
31 ...because I have experienced neither any restrictions nor any
32 fragilities in the last 12 years of using a MTB setup with that
33 "MS-DOS" setup (technically it is more a MTB-setup. MSDOS refers
34 to V/FAT, which needs to be used with UEFI in the first partition
35 as far as I know...isn't it?)
36
37 In short: Never chance a runnig system.
38
39 But let us better discuss on a more technical level, since I asked
40 for technical help and not for more rethorical given question as
41 an answer.
42
43 Cheers!
44 Meino