From: Robert Szentmihalyi <robert.szentmihalyi@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Hardware...
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:33:45
1 On Sunday 30 July 2006 04:46, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 7/29/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > I'm gearing up for a new hardware purchase and I find that I need a
6 > > little help figuring out "what is" and "what isn't" linux compatible.
7 >
8 > For the most part today, this isn't really a concern [1]. Most
9 > motherboard chipsets, network cards, USB controllers, IEEE1394
10 > controllers, etc are all supported, it is just a matter of selecting
11 > the right kernel options. The exceptions are mostly wireless chipsets
12 > and graphics cards.
13
14 According to NVidia's list, as far as I can see, the nForce5 chipset is not
15 supported...
16 Does anyone have any experiences with that?
19 > The major problem today is the graphics card. If you don't mind
20 > proprietary drivers, nvidia is the way to go. Just make sure you get
21 > a card supported by their current (not legacy) drivers [2]. If you
22 > don't want proprietary drivers, ATI Radeon 9250 boards are still
23 > available and well supported, although I don't know about PCI-e
24 > versions. Intel integrated graphics chips also have excellent
25 > support, although I have never used one so I can't comment on the
26 > performance.
27 >
28 > For wireless, Intel has excellent linux support.
29 >
30 > -Richard
31 >
32 > [1] http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html