From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Hardware...
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:50:22
1 On 7/29/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm gearing up for a new hardware purchase and I find that I need a little
5 > help figuring out "what is" and "what isn't" linux compatible.
6
7 For the most part today, this isn't really a concern [1]. Most
8 motherboard chipsets, network cards, USB controllers, IEEE1394
9 controllers, etc are all supported, it is just a matter of selecting
10 the right kernel options. The exceptions are mostly wireless chipsets
11 and graphics cards.
12
13 The major problem today is the graphics card. If you don't mind
14 proprietary drivers, nvidia is the way to go. Just make sure you get
15 a card supported by their current (not legacy) drivers [2]. If you
16 don't want proprietary drivers, ATI Radeon 9250 boards are still
17 available and well supported, although I don't know about PCI-e
18 versions. Intel integrated graphics chips also have excellent
19 support, although I have never used one so I can't comment on the
20 performance.
21
22 For wireless, Intel has excellent linux support.
23
24 -Richard
25
26 [1] http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html