From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ltsp woes
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 16:55:57
1 On 5/5/06, John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I help out with a local school using an ltsp server to run 50-60 ancient
5 > pentium boxes as terminals. I've run gentoo and ltsp on this server for
6 > almost
7 > a year without problems. However, a few weeks ago there had been a sudden
8 > power outage (and no ups) which took the server and terminals down.
9 > Ever since that event, we've not been able to get the terminals to boot.
10 > We get as far as this message on the terminals:
11 >
12 > Boot from (N)etwork or from (L)ocal? N
13 > Probing...[3C5x9]3C5x9 board on ISA at 0x300 - 10baseT
14 > Ethernet address: 00:A0:24:98:14:55
15 > Searching for Server (DHCP)...
16 > ............ No Server found
17 >
18 > The server is up and running. I can log into it remotely via
19 > ssh or VNC and everything seems to be operating normally.
20 > A dhcp daemon is running, and, in fact is supplying ip addresses
21 > to a bunch of windows boxes on the school network.
22 >
23 > Any suggestions on how to debug this are welcome!
26 How are the boxes connected to the network? A hub? A switch? Router
27 maybe? Try using the network spot (where one of the failing boxes is
28 connected) with a notebook or another machine that you know has no
29 problems. Also check the cables and other network devices between the
30 boxes and the DHCP server. I doubt a software failure would get all
31 your boxes down at the same time.
32
33 So, its my bet, a physical problem, but I'm not an expert.
36 Daniel da Veiga
37 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list