From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] google-chrome-103.0.5060 - choose password for new keyring
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 03:43:14
1 On 7/7/22 21:28, Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 7/7/22 20:23, Dale wrote:
4 >>> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>>> After update to new chrome browser "google-chrome-103.0.5060"
6 >>>> A popup shows up:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> "choose password for new keyring"
9 >>>>
10 >>>> No explanation what is it, how to change it etc.  Is it needed?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Was it discuss before?
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> I don't use Chrome but google found this.
17 >>>
18 >>> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=312289
19 >>>
20 >>> This may help too.
21 >>>
22 >>> https://superuser.com/questions/890150/completely-stop-gnome-keyring-popups
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>> Does one of those help?  They seem to address the problem in slightly
26 >>> different ways.
27 >>>
28 >>> Dale
29 >>>
30 >>> :-)  :-)
31 >>
32 >> Thanks,  there is a lot of information how to by-pass it but very
33 >> little explanation which application request it or why is it there.
39 > One thing I read makes it sound like it is for a built in password
40 > remembering tool. I know Firefox and Seamonkey has the same but I
41 > disable those since I use BitWarden anyway.  One would think there would
42 > be a setting in preferences to just disable all that.  I suspect few use
43 > them given the popularity of LastPass, BitWarden and other tools that
44 > are much more secure and portable.  Maybe looking for a password tool
45 > setting would help.  I tried Chrome ages ago, didn't like it at all.
46 > That was several years ago so I'm clueless on it now.  Just thought
47 > those suggestions might help.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
52
53 Starting chrome with "--password-store=basic" solved the problem.