From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] google-chrome-103.0.5060 - choose password for new keyring
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 03:50:52
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 7/7/22 21:28, Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> On 7/7/22 20:23, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >>>>> After update to new chrome browser "google-chrome-103.0.5060"
7 >>>>> A popup shows up:
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> "choose password for new keyring"
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> No explanation what is it, how to change it etc.  Is it needed?
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> Was it discuss before?
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> I don't use Chrome but google found this.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=312289
20 >>>>
21 >>>> This may help too.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> https://superuser.com/questions/890150/completely-stop-gnome-keyring-popups
24 >>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>>>
27 >>>> Does one of those help?  They seem to address the problem in slightly
28 >>>> different ways.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Dale
31 >>>>
32 >>>> :-)  :-)
33 >>>
34 >>> Thanks,  there is a lot of information how to by-pass it but very
35 >>> little explanation which application request it or why is it there.
36 >>>
37 >>>
40 >> One thing I read makes it sound like it is for a built in password
41 >> remembering tool. I know Firefox and Seamonkey has the same but I
42 >> disable those since I use BitWarden anyway.  One would think there would
43 >> be a setting in preferences to just disable all that.  I suspect few use
44 >> them given the popularity of LastPass, BitWarden and other tools that
45 >> are much more secure and portable.  Maybe looking for a password tool
46 >> setting would help.  I tried Chrome ages ago, didn't like it at all.
47 >> That was several years ago so I'm clueless on it now.  Just thought
48 >> those suggestions might help.
49 >>
50 >> Dale
51 >>
53 >
54 > Starting chrome with "--password-store=basic" solved the problem.
60 You found a solution that works.  That's great.  Now you can get back to
61 doing more important things.  ;-)
62
63 Dale
64