From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasma pager layout indicator
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 21:31:22
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/07/2014 21:42, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 16/07/2014 18:45, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>>> easiest way to test: new user. Copy over config files until problem occurs.
6 >>> <doh>
7 >>> Yes of course, that's the best way. Didn't think of that
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >> I just did my KDE upgrade so I renamed the .kde4 directory. I logged
11 >> in, set up enough that I could test things and then logged out. When I
12 >> logged back in, it worked like it should. Let's see how long that lasts.
13 >>
14 >> Alan, make sure you change the permissions on those file. I have a test
15 >> account that I rarely use as well. In the past, I had to change the
16 >> owner from dale to dale2 which is my account names. Usually the group
17 >> is the same so the owner is all that needs changing.
18 > Why change the permissions? They must be rw for the user using them
19 > which means chmod 6xx, the group being entirely irrelevant as it will
20 > never be referenced. If the new user is doing the copy then they will be
21 > owned by that new user anyway. "cp -a" will just always do the right
22 > thing in this case :-)
26 Well, I usually copy as root which leaves the permissions the same.
27 Since you do it as user then you are right.
28
29 Dale
30