From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasma pager layout indicator
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 21:50:46
1 On 17/07/2014 23:31, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 17/07/2014 21:42, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On 16/07/2014 18:45, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >>>>> easiest way to test: new user. Copy over config files until problem occurs.
7 >>>> <doh>
8 >>>> Yes of course, that's the best way. Didn't think of that
9 >>>>
10 >>>>
11 >>> I just did my KDE upgrade so I renamed the .kde4 directory. I logged
12 >>> in, set up enough that I could test things and then logged out. When I
13 >>> logged back in, it worked like it should. Let's see how long that lasts.
14 >>>
15 >>> Alan, make sure you change the permissions on those file. I have a test
16 >>> account that I rarely use as well. In the past, I had to change the
17 >>> owner from dale to dale2 which is my account names. Usually the group
18 >>> is the same so the owner is all that needs changing.
19 >> Why change the permissions? They must be rw for the user using them
20 >> which means chmod 6xx, the group being entirely irrelevant as it will
21 >> never be referenced. If the new user is doing the copy then they will be
22 >> owned by that new user anyway. "cp -a" will just always do the right
23 >> thing in this case :-)
27 > Well, I usually copy as root which leaves the permissions the same.
28 > Since you do it as user then you are right.
31 DO NOT DO THAT COPY AS ROOT. That's just needlessly
32 asking for trouble.
33
34 Do it as the destination user, as long as it can read the source user's
35 home dir it all works out fine. Group membership is usually sufficient
36 and the only case where it's an issue is if home dirs are set to
37 rwx------ or encrypted
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com