From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:28:04
1 On 2015-08-04, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Felix Miata <mrmazda <at> earthlink.net> writes:
5 >> 1-I just find upgrade processes more enjoyable than inital installations and
6 >> their follow-up tedium getting from defaults back to the way I like things
7 >> to work.
10 >> Now that I've seen several thread responses subsequent to this one, I'm
11 >> leaning towared just doing a fresh installation, but I'm curious about what
12 >> would happen by trying, and how long it really would take.
13 >
14 > Interesting choice:: how do you like your choices, Felix?
15 >
16 > To the wider list of gentoo hacks::
17 >
18 > Still think we do not need an easier installation semantic? If he decides to
19 > 'upgrade' there will be tons of man-hours spent on this effort. If we had a
20 > mostly unattended basic installation semantic (proceedure/install) I bet he
21 > (Felix) would choose that pathway.
22
23 I've tried that pathway. Many times. The "mostly unattended"
24 installers all install things I don't want, pick options I don't like,
25 and end up configured to do things the way the authors of the
26 installer wanted to do things rather than the way I want to do things.
27
28 > If we (gentoo) had a simple installation semantic, this sort of
29 > problem would most likely disappear; so the wider community could
30 > delve into other technical support issues...... YMMV.
31
32 There are tons of options for "a simple installation semantic" if
33 that's what people want. I don't see any benefit in turning Gentoo
34 into yet another "me too" one-click installation trying to compete
35 with RedHat and Ubuntu.
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Let's all show human
39 at CONCERN for REVERAND MOON's
40 gmail.com legal difficulties!!