From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 00:40:20
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I've tried that pathway. Many times. The "mostly unattended"
5 > installers all install things I don't want, pick options I don't like,
6 > and end up configured to do things the way the authors of the
7 > installer wanted to do things rather than the way I want to do things.
8
9 Um, we can think out of the box for a new and cool installation semantic.
10 Just look at blueness's posting (Gentoo Reference System) on www.gentoo.org
11 as a new, and useful approach to installs for established gentoo admins.
15 > > If we (gentoo) had a simple installation semantic, this sort of
16 > > problem would most likely disappear; so the wider community could
17 > > delve into other technical support issues...... YMMV.
18
19 > There are tons of options for "a simple installation semantic" if
20 > that's what people want. I don't see any benefit in turning Gentoo
21 > into yet another "me too" one-click installation trying to compete
22 > with RedHat and Ubuntu.
25 Non-sequitur argument. Just because we'd have an *optional installer* does
26 not mean anyone would have to use it. Folks can still install the way they
27 like, including using ansible as Stefan does. Currently you have to
28 spin your own ansible setup, but it'd not be that difficult for a gentoo
29 reference install, based on ansible either. More options are better, imho.
30 No you, as an astute user, can choose any installation semantic, including
31 rolling your own. I'm curious to see Felix's responses.....
34 James