From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 08:42:49
1 On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 00:39:56 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Um, we can think out of the box for a new and cool installation
4 > semantic. Just look at blueness's posting (Gentoo Reference System) on
5 > www.gentoo.org as a new, and useful approach to installs for
6 > established gentoo admins.
7
8 That's interesting, but not an installer. It's a means to building a
9 standard reference system repeatedly that then needs installing.
10
11 I see one major problem with a pointy-clicky YaST/Ananconda type
12 installer: who is going to write it? Who has that particular itch bad
13 enough to scratch it?
14
15 An automated installer is another matter, write a config file and point it
16 at some bare metal using something like Ansible, to allow sysadmins to
17 roll out systems with less fiddling.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 But there, everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his
24 mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
25 -- Jerome K. Jerome