From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems moving /boot partiton
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:05:48
1 On 4/30/06, Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Try executing this command from the grub command line:
3 >
4 > find /boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
5 >
6 > It'll return the partition where it finds the file.. It should be
7 > something like (ab0,x).. Then as usual enter the grub commands..
8 >
9 > root (ab0,x)
10 > setup (ab0)
11 > quit
12 >
13 > Hope this helps,
14 > Farhan Ahmed
15
16 Hi Farhan and John,
17 First, thanks for the quick responses.
18
19 1) I've booted again from the unversal Install CD. I have two consoles
20 open - one is in the install environment and the second is in the
21 chroot'ed environment.
22
23 2) In the install environment it tells me that I have /dev/sda3
24 mounted at /mnt/gentoo and /dev/sda9 mounted at /mnt/gentoo/boot
25
26 3) In the chroot'ed environment I run grub and then your find command. It says
27
28 Error 15: File not found
29 grub>
30
31 4) In the install environment I can see the kernel file at
32 /mnt/gentoo/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
33
34 5) In the chroot'ed environment I can see the kernel file at
35 /boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
36
37 6) I thoought grub supported tab completion but maybe that's only at
38 boot time. While running grub in a console in the chroot'ed
39 environment tabs are just moving the cursor to the right.
40
41 Let me know what other info you might need to make another guess.
42
43 Thanks again for your help!
44
45 Cheers,