From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Raspberry Pi & Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:25:18
1 Ralf <ralf+gentoo <at> ramses-pyramidenbau.de> writes:
4 > https://blog.ramses-pyramidenbau.de/?p=188
5
6 Very cool!
9 > >> 2. What distro? Right now I'm using Gentoo on all my servers
10 > >> but I'm not sure it is the best option for this puppy (Gentoo
11 > >> puts quite high demands on filesystem). If I redirect all the
12 > >> compilation work to other "mature" server (distcc/crossdev),
13 > >> can I use even Gentoo? Or is Raspbian still the better choice?
14 > > I found distcc hard work when I was installing Gentoo on my Atom box,
15 > > so I NFS-exported its package directory to a 32-bit chroot on my
16 > >> workstation, did all the emerging etc. there, including building binary
17 > >> packages, then emerge -k on the Atom installed the system with minimum
18 > >> fuss.
21 Ok so, on these small arm systems, what we have is the consolidation of the
22 embedded world and the *nix world view of things.
23
24 It may be best and easy for you to purchase (relatively) cheap hardware,
25 downlaod and existing easy distro and run your application; benchmarking
26 with relevant goals in mind.
27
28 Traditional embedded folks look at the primary algorithms and apps that will
29 run on an embedded processor/ram and maybe go one size larger on the
30 resources. Tightly constrained. Arm processors come in a myriad of sizes and
31 features. Personally, if your stuck on Rpi, I ask around in those forums as
32 to which arm_board you should use for your goals. Stay with non-mechanical
33 drive/mem as it's rather dumb to put a mechanical drive with a sub-100-watt
34 embedded board, from an energy consumption perspective, imho.
37 http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi
38
39 http://www.anandtech.com/show/7724/it-begins-amd-announces-its-first-arm-based-server-soc-64bit8core-opteron-a1100
40
41 https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
42
43 http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2321
46 Just a few links to get you started on proper research.
47
48 hth,
49 James