From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with USB memory
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:47:40
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:29:50 -0300, Arran Fraser wrote:
2
3 > Until this week. I upgraded a number of packages, including my kernel
4 > (gentoo 2.6.12 --> gentoo 2.6.13). After the reboot, no more /dev/sda1.
5 >
6 > By the way, for the first time I used "make oldconfig" instead of "make
7 > menuconfig"... was that a mistake?
8
9 No, that's what it's there for, I do it all the time.
10
11 > I tried compiling various modules and so on, and eventually reverted to
12 > my previous kernel. Only to find that it no longer worked there either!
13
14 > The drive is recognized by the USB drivers and even by the SCSI system,
15 > but no /dev/sda1.
16
17 Since it no longer works with the old config either, it is possible the
18 device has failed and it happening when you changed kernels was one of
19 those 'coincidences' that prove the existence of Finagle.
20
21 Does the disk work in another computer?
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 He who asks a question is a fool for a minute,
28 He who doesn't ask is a fool for a lifetime.