From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:18:57
1 > That's more or less what I'm trying to do. Is setting up a VPN
2 > between my remote server and local network overkill? I think the only
3 > thing I'd use it for is to hide the sending of these printouts.
4
5 I would speculate that a VPN for one service might be overkill, if that
6 service is easy to secure. It is also a transparent mechanism for
7 encryption over the net that would work with other services too (email,
8 http, and the like).
9
10 If you are likely to set up these services, you might consider a VPN to
11 make your life easier in the long run. But if printing is the only
12 thing you need to do, you might want to avoid the configuration of a
13 VPN and just set up SSL.
14
15 Encrypting your print data, in my opinion, is a very good idea.
16 --
17 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list