From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:09:44
1 > > > > Well thank you for that. I had planned on setting up port
2 > > > > knocking for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off
3 > > > > leaving them listening on 22 and 631?
4 > > >
5 > > > Fail2Ban, though a little intensive, seems to be a decent method for
6 > > > avoiding unwanted SSH traffic while accepting trusted traffic. I
7 > > > have seen one deployment where it seems passably inconspicuous, at
8 > > > least.
9 > > >
10 > > > Alternately, if you run SSH on an unusual port, you're unlikely to
11 > > > see much Bot traffic. I would recommend this, if you're concerned,
12 > > > above port knocking myself -- relying on a complicated
13 > > > "pre-authentication" method rather than / in addition to a remote
14 > > > admin tool like SSH seems to be asking for problems.
15 > >
16 > > Do you mean problems in the form of hassles?
17 >
18 > Yeah, hassles and potential misconfiguration, because if anything goes
19 > wrong (rookie admin messes up knocking, for instance, on the
20 > server/firewall) you can't log in from home and fix it, you have to
21 > drive all the way out there to get in from the other side.
22 >
23 > Port knocking seems like a decent security method to me, especially if
24 > it was running on the firewall and opened ports only to the knocking IP
25 > -- in that case, it certainly wouldn't be obvious to any other computer
26 > that the port had been opened.
27 >
28 > However, I tend to think it is more trouble than it's worth, and has a
29 > tendency to make people think that they can be lazy about security
30 > because 'intruders would have to port knock anyway'. I tend to prefer
31 > strong firewalls, strong passwords, and, potentially, RSA certs or
32 > something to _really_ make sure.
33 >
34 > > So you're saying ssh
35 > > running on an unusual port is good enough?
36 >
37 > I'm no expert, but from my logs: SSH attempts (from bots in Shanghai
38 > and the like) on port 22 number in the thousands, unexpected SSH
39 > attempts on the nonstandard ports I run SSH on (actually it's
40 > firewall-level port forwarding) have not yet been logged.
41 >
42 > It's kind of an "obscuring for security" argument, but I think it's a
43 > good balance between goofy port knocking setups and just running plain
44 > old SSH on 22.
45 >
46 > Of course, Nothing is a replacement for strong password enforcement,
47 > and if the systems are important, I would probably require certificates
48 > as well.
49 >
50 > And again, I stress that I'm no expert. I have been using nonstandard
51 > ports and the Bots seem none the wiser, but I can still log in on those
52 > ports from any computer without having to aquire and configure port
53 > knocking clients.
54
55 Sounds like I should forget port knocking and set up RSA certificates.
56
57 > > > > As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
58 > > > > encrypting that data shouldn't I? Nothing too sensitive but it
59 > > > > sounds like a good thing to do. It looks like cups can use ssl
60 > > > > but I don't see any mention of it in man lpr.
61 > > >
62 > > > SSH Tunneling and VPN come to mind too, but I must ask - what good
63 > > > is printing a physical document across the net, unless the printer
64 > > > is still only a little way away, and if so, what is it doing behind
65 > > > a public network? I am curious about this deployment.
66 > >
67 > > I'd be happy to tell you more but I'm not sure what you mean. "Still
68 > > only a little way away"?
71 > Thinking of all the times I printed something, I cant think of many
72 > situations when I didn't have to walk over to the printer after
73 > printing, grab the printout, and carry it to the intended destination.
74 >
75 > I can imagine situations where you'd want to print invoices and the
76 > like at front offices or even remote storefronts and locations, but
77 > wouldn't you want a VPN up between your remote offices anyway?
78
79 That's more or less what I'm trying to do. Is setting up a VPN
80 between my remote server and local network overkill? I think the only
81 thing I'd use it for is to hide the sending of these printouts.
82
83 - Grant
84 --
85 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list