From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:41:43
1 On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 07:27:12 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > > Well thank you for that. I had planned on setting up port
5 > > > knocking for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off
6 > > > leaving them listening on 22 and 631?
7 > >
8 > > Fail2Ban, though a little intensive, seems to be a decent method for
9 > > avoiding unwanted SSH traffic while accepting trusted traffic. I
10 > > have seen one deployment where it seems passably inconspicuous, at
11 > > least.
12 > >
13 > > Alternately, if you run SSH on an unusual port, you're unlikely to
14 > > see much Bot traffic. I would recommend this, if you're concerned,
15 > > above port knocking myself -- relying on a complicated
16 > > "pre-authentication" method rather than / in addition to a remote
17 > > admin tool like SSH seems to be asking for problems.
18 >
19 > Do you mean problems in the form of hassles?
20
21 Yeah, hassles and potential misconfiguration, because if anything goes
22 wrong (rookie admin messes up knocking, for instance, on the
23 server/firewall) you can't log in from home and fix it, you have to
24 drive all the way out there to get in from the other side.
25
26 Port knocking seems like a decent security method to me, especially if
27 it was running on the firewall and opened ports only to the knocking IP
28 -- in that case, it certainly wouldn't be obvious to any other computer
29 that the port had been opened.
30
31 However, I tend to think it is more trouble than it's worth, and has a
32 tendency to make people think that they can be lazy about security
33 because 'intruders would have to port knock anyway'. I tend to prefer
34 strong firewalls, strong passwords, and, potentially, RSA certs or
35 something to _really_ make sure.
36
37 > So you're saying ssh
38 > running on an unusual port is good enough?
39
40 I'm no expert, but from my logs: SSH attempts (from bots in Shanghai
41 and the like) on port 22 number in the thousands, unexpected SSH
42 attempts on the nonstandard ports I run SSH on (actually it's
43 firewall-level port forwarding) have not yet been logged.
44
45 It's kind of an "obscuring for security" argument, but I think it's a
46 good balance between goofy port knocking setups and just running plain
47 old SSH on 22.
48
49 Of course, Nothing is a replacement for strong password enforcement,
50 and if the systems are important, I would probably require certificates
51 as well.
52
53 And again, I stress that I'm no expert. I have been using nonstandard
54 ports and the Bots seem none the wiser, but I can still log in on those
55 ports from any computer without having to aquire and configure port
56 knocking clients.
57
58 > > > As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
59 > > > encrypting that data shouldn't I? Nothing too sensitive but it
60 > > > sounds like a good thing to do. It looks like cups can use ssl
61 > > > but I don't see any mention of it in man lpr.
62 > >
63 > > SSH Tunneling and VPN come to mind too, but I must ask - what good
64 > > is printing a physical document across the net, unless the printer
65 > > is still only a little way away, and if so, what is it doing behind
66 > > a public network? I am curious about this deployment.
67 >
68 > I'd be happy to tell you more but I'm not sure what you mean. "Still
69 > only a little way away"?
72 Thinking of all the times I printed something, I cant think of many
73 situations when I didn't have to walk over to the printer after
74 printing, grab the printout, and carry it to the intended destination.
75
76 I can imagine situations where you'd want to print invoices and the
77 like at front offices or even remote storefronts and locations, but
78 wouldn't you want a VPN up between your remote offices anyway?
83 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list