From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:27:14
1 > > Well thank you for that. I had planned on setting up port knocking
2 > > for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off leaving them
3 > > listening on 22 and 631?
4 >
5 > Fail2Ban, though a little intensive, seems to be a decent method for
6 > avoiding unwanted SSH traffic while accepting trusted traffic. I have
7 > seen one deployment where it seems passably inconspicuous, at least.
8 >
9 > Alternately, if you run SSH on an unusual port, you're unlikely to see
10 > much Bot traffic. I would recommend this, if you're concerned, above
11 > port knocking myself -- relying on a complicated "pre-authentication"
12 > method rather than / in addition to a remote admin tool like SSH seems
13 > to be asking for problems.
14
15 Do you mean problems in the form of hassles? So you're saying ssh
16 running on an unusual port is good enough?
17
18 > > As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
19 > > encrypting that data shouldn't I? Nothing too sensitive but it sounds
20 > > like a good thing to do. It looks like cups can use ssl but I don't
21 > > see any mention of it in man lpr.
22 >
23 > SSH Tunneling and VPN come to mind too, but I must ask - what good is
24 > printing a physical document across the net, unless the printer is
25 > still only a little way away, and if so, what is it doing behind a
26 > public network? I am curious about this deployment.
27
28 I'd be happy to tell you more but I'm not sure what you mean. "Still
29 only a little way away"?
30
31 - Grant
32 --