From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:15:47
1 On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:27:24 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Well thank you for that. I had planned on setting up port knocking
5 > for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off leaving them
6 > listening on 22 and 631?
7
8 Fail2Ban, though a little intensive, seems to be a decent method for
9 avoiding unwanted SSH traffic while accepting trusted traffic. I have
10 seen one deployment where it seems passably inconspicuous, at least.
11
12 Alternately, if you run SSH on an unusual port, you're unlikely to see
13 much Bot traffic. I would recommend this, if you're concerned, above
14 port knocking myself -- relying on a complicated "pre-authentication"
15 method rather than / in addition to a remote admin tool like SSH seems
16 to be asking for problems.
17
18 > As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
19 > encrypting that data shouldn't I? Nothing too sensitive but it sounds
20 > like a good thing to do. It looks like cups can use ssl but I don't
21 > see any mention of it in man lpr.
22
23 SSH Tunneling and VPN come to mind too, but I must ask - what good is
24 printing a physical document across the net, unless the printer is
25 still only a little way away, and if so, what is it doing behind a
26 public network? I am curious about this deployment.
27
28 > - Grant
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list