From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:27:28
1 > > > > If someone then argues about source IP spoofing, just let him. If
2 > > > > someone in your organisation is able to do it, make him your
3 > > > > network admin.
4 > > >
5 > > > You're right, access to the printer can be given only to certain
6 > > > hosts. So simply using 'lpr file.pdf' on the remote machine
7 > > > doesn't strike you as a bad idea?
8 > >
9 > > Might this be an opportunity to use 'port-knocking' ?
10 > >
11 > > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6811
12 > >
13 > > just a thought, never really tried this before.
14 >
15 > port-knocking is the biggest load of fud (Microsoft products apart) I
16 > have heard about in ages. The term snake-oil comes to mind, as
17 > does "security by obscurity and obfuscation" which we all know is no
18 > security at all.
19 >
20 > I don't care if the originating process knocks on the well known port
21 > with gold plated gloves hand braided from the finest Unobtainium by
22 > seductive alluring Puerto Rican virgins, the receiving machine still
23 > has to open another port short thereafter. This is not a magic port and
24 > is not wrapped in Star Trek's finest stealth cloak, it's a port that
25 > does TCP/IP stuff.
26 >
27 > If the end process listening on the newly opened port is in any way
28 > weak - and this is the only possible reason anyone would ever try the
29 > port knocking workaround - it's just as weak when it's listening on an
30 > obfuscated port number. If it's open, I can find it. If it's weak, I
31 > can get in. Then it's game over, go home, I win.
32 >
33 > I've yet to hear positive things about port knocking from someone who
34 > actually implemented it fully. In truth it's just a major pain in the
35 > arse that makes the admin's life miserable and gives the boss a warm
36 > fuzzy feeling based on hot air.
37 >
38 > End of rant.
39
40 Well thank you for that. I had planned on setting up port knocking
41 for ssh and cups but I guess I'm just as well off leaving them
42 listening on 22 and 631?
43
44 As for printing from lpr to cups across the internet, I should be
45 encrypting that data shouldn't I? Nothing too sensitive but it sounds
46 like a good thing to do. It looks like cups can use ssl but I don't
47 see any mention of it in man lpr.
48
49 - Grant
50 --