From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:01:12
1 On 2008-02-03, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2
3 >> So you're saying ssh running on an unusual port is good
4 >> enough?
5
6 For some value of "good enough", yes.
7
8 > I'm no expert, but from my logs: SSH attempts (from bots in
9 > Shanghai and the like) on port 22 number in the thousands,
10 > unexpected SSH attempts on the nonstandard ports I run SSH on
11 > (actually it's firewall-level port forwarding) have not yet
12 > been logged.
13
14 I usually run ssh on non-standard ports. It does cut down a
15 lot on breaking attempts. It's still an open port, and you
16 still need to make sure ssh/openssl is kept updated.
17 Blacklisting a source IP after multiple failed attempts within
18 a time period is probably a good idea regardless.
21 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I just went
22 at below the poverty line!
23 visi.com
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list