From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new scanner : partial success
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 19:13:40
1 I bought an Epson V550 scanner & have been trying it out.
2
3 No joy on Gentoo : Xsane can't find it & various ploys fail.
4
5 I also have Mint Xfce 17.2 installed for this kind of occasion.
6 Epson offers a driver in .deb format for Mint, which I've downloaded.
7 After copying it to the Mint partition & following the install instruction,
8 Xsane there does indeed find the scanner & starts up.
9 I succeeded in scanning 1 test image :
10 it's much much quicker than my 2003 Epson & the image is quite adequate.
11
12 It appears that the driver set-up includes a binary blob
13 & that it can't be done simply by picking the correct SANE_BACKENDS item
14 (the old scanner simply need 'plustek' to be chosen).
15 So can anyone advise me how to get my new scanner working on Gentoo ?
16 -- I can reboot into Mint whenever I want to scan something,
17 but anything which cb done via another distro sb available with Gentoo too.
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca