From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 21:00:08
1 On 8/28/20 1:18 PM, antlists wrote:
2 > The main reason other applications use "TCP over HTTP(S)" is because
3 > stupid network operators block everything else!
4
5 I agree that filtering is a problem.
6
7 I also think that it's something that most people can overcome when they
8 control the firewall between the private LAN and the Internet. (Your
9 typical SOHO NATing gateway.)
10
11 The few times that I have run into filtering, it has been for
12 uninitiated inbound connections. I've almost always been able to
13 initiate outbound connections to / from odd ports. The few times that I
14 could not do so in the last 20 years were resolved by engaging the ISP
15 and ... politely ... getting them to knock it off. Inbound can be more
16 tricky. But even inbound HTTP(S) was subject to the same problems.
17 Actually, inbound HTTP(S) was more of a problem than other ports.
22 Grant. . . .
23 unix || die