From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A plea for calm
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:08:10
1 b.n. wrote:
2 > Allan Gottlieb ha scritto:
3 >> I am a delighted gentoo user who neither uses plaudis nor has any
4 >> complaint with it or its developers. I also don't use kde, but have
5 >> no complaint with it or its developers.
6 >>
7 >> I wonder if we could end this plaudis argument, as I don't see how the
8 >> argument can actually help anyone.
9 >
10 > Same situation, agree completely.
11 >
12 > All those "you're a liar" "no i am not" "you are trolling" "no you are
13 > trolling" looks a lot like primary school behaviour.
14 >
15 > The first kde4 overlay was done paludis only? Fine. It's free software,
16 > it's an overlay, so anyone was free to do whatever they want. In fact,
17 > someone ported it to Portage, so now everyone can be happy.
18 >
19 > So, why catfighting now?
20
21 Maybe because people don't want Paludis to become the primary Gentoo
22 package manager (including myself.)
23
24 Now there's a problem here; people who use Paludis think that people who
25 don't want it to replace Portage are trying to banish it and its
26 developers from the face of the Earth. They don't realize that there's
27 a difference between "we don't want Paludis to replace Portage" and "we
28 want to banish Paludis and its developers from the face of the Earth."
29
30 Hence, catfighting. Me, I don't want to banish anyone. All I want is
31 being able to use Gentoo and emerge *all* packages without being
32 required to install Paludis. Paludis should be compatible to Portage,
33 *NOT* the other way around.