From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No news on kernel upgrade?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:57:23
1 On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 13:25:01 GMT n952162 wrote:
2 > On 2/9/21 12:57 PM, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 10:01:04 GMT n952162 wrote:
4 > >> On 2/9/21 10:05 AM, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> n952162 wrote:
6 > >>>> Are extra administrative steps necessary when --sync brings in a new
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>> kernel, as in:
9 > >>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>> I currently have this situation:
12 > >>>>
13 > >>>> $ uname -a
14 > >>>> Linux host *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
15 > >>>> GNU/Linux
16 > >>>>
17 > >>>> $ eselect kernel list
18 > >>>>
19 > >>>> Available kernel symlink targets:
20 > >>>> [1] linux-5.4.72-gentoo
21 > >>>> [2] linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
22 > >>>> [3] linux-5.4.92-gentoo
23 > >>>>
24 > >>>> If an update requires additional steps, shouldn't that have appeared
25 > >>>> in the news?
26 > >>>
27 > >>> It depends I think. I say think because there may be a binary kernel
28 > >>> available which will upgrade itself. I seem to recall reading about it
29 > >>> on a mailing list somewhere. I have no experience with it tho. That
30 > >>> said, if you use the old method, you have to upgrade the kernel
31 > >>> yourself. There are scripts you can use to help automate it a good bit
32 > >>> but some of us still do it the manual way. When you do updates, emerge
33 > >>> will pull in the new sources but the rest is up to you. I suspect most
34 > >>> that do it the old way, copy .config over to the new kernel directory,
35 > >>> run make oldconfig and answer the questions, compile the new kernel,
36 > >>> copy it to /boot using the right method which there is a few of and then
37 > >>> configure your bootloader if needed. The link you posted explains this
38 > >>> in more detail, and may be more complete too.
39 > >>>
40 > >>> I'm trying to remember what that binary kernel thing is called. I just
41 > >>> skimmed the messages so it could be something else or not even in the
42 > >>> tree yet.
43 > >>>
44 > >>> Dale
45 > >>>
46 > >>> :-) :-)
47 > >>
48 > >> Ah, maybe I have a theory what's going on ... maybe there's no news that
49 > >> it's time to upgrade the kernel, because it's not meant that the kernel
50 > >> necessarily needs to be upgraded ... except that it seems that the
51 > >> virtualbox-modules package might have a (unfortunate) dependency on
52 > >> that...
53 > >
54 > > I'm not sure I understand completely why there should be a news item from
55 > > portage whenever new kernel sources are updated and downloaded. It is up
56 > > the system administrator to configure and build the new sources if
57 > > desired.
58 > gentoo policy is that administrators need to keep their systems
59 > up-to-date. The promise is, if they do so, the dependency system will
60 > be reliable.
61 >
62 > The kernel version is apparently an exception to this. The updating
63 > mechanism does not require that this track the synchronization of the
64 > portage tree. Administrators are free to decide what kernel they want
65 > to use. This works - except for virtualbox-modules.
66 >
67 > > Each time you upgrade your kernel on the host, external modules will
68 > > require updating/rebuilding. The set '@module-rebuild' does that instead
69 > > of having to re-emerge manually each external module.
70 >
71 > Yes, in another context, your tip about this helped me to solve a
72 > separate problem with vbox. A quick survey didn't find mention of this
73 > facility in the handbook. Perhaps I missed it.
74
75 Yes, I just found it in the Handbook here:
76
77 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Post-install.
78 2Fupgrade_tasks
81 and in the wiki here:
82
83 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/
84 Upgrade#Reinstalling_external_kernel_modules
87 > > You seem to be running an old kernel. VBox and its modules changed
88 > > recently so these will need to be updated - there may be a conflict with
89 > > older host kernels and as you report you've come across it.
90 >
91 > what is the most efficient way for an administrator to known when a new
92 > kernel is available and advisable?
93
94 I don't know of a generic recommended way to go about this, but I have 'sys-
95 kernel/gentoo-sources' in my world file, so the latest stable version is
96 downloaded once available. Then I build the kernel when convenient and run
97 '@module-rebuild' to update any external module packages.
98
99 The problem could arise when some package, in this case VBox, requires a later
100 kernel than the one you've been running. I guess things will break and upon
101 investigating the kernel version issue will come up in troubleshooting.
102
103 For major breakages of the core system I'd expect the devs would have spotted
104 it and highlighted it with a news item.
107 > > The eselect list you showed does not have a selected kernel source. What
108 > > is linked to /usr/src/linux on your system?
109 > >
110 > > $ ls -l /usr/src/
111 >
112 > It is properly linked considering the configuration:
113 >
114 > $ ll /usr/src/linux
115 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov 8 2019 /usr/src/linux ->
116 > linux-4.19.72-gentoo
117
118 Right, this particular kernel version is no longer in the tree. The two
119 versions closest to it are 'gentoo-sources-4.14.217' and 'gentoo-
120 sources-4.19.160'. Or you could shoot for the latest stable 5.4.92, which
121 works fine here, also on a host which runs VBox.