From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No news on kernel upgrade?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:25:42
1 On 2/9/21 12:57 PM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 10:01:04 GMT n952162 wrote:
3 >> On 2/9/21 10:05 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> n952162 wrote:
5 >>>> Are extra administrative steps necessary when --sync brings in a new
6 >>>>
7 >>>> kernel, as in:
8 >>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I currently have this situation:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> $ uname -a
13 >>>> Linux host *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
14 >>>> GNU/Linux
15 >>>>
16 >>>> $ eselect kernel list
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Available kernel symlink targets:
19 >>>> [1] linux-5.4.72-gentoo
20 >>>> [2] linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
21 >>>> [3] linux-5.4.92-gentoo
22 >>>>
23 >>>> If an update requires additional steps, shouldn't that have appeared
24 >>>> in the news?
25 >>> It depends I think. I say think because there may be a binary kernel
26 >>> available which will upgrade itself. I seem to recall reading about it
27 >>> on a mailing list somewhere. I have no experience with it tho. That
28 >>> said, if you use the old method, you have to upgrade the kernel
29 >>> yourself. There are scripts you can use to help automate it a good bit
30 >>> but some of us still do it the manual way. When you do updates, emerge
31 >>> will pull in the new sources but the rest is up to you. I suspect most
32 >>> that do it the old way, copy .config over to the new kernel directory,
33 >>> run make oldconfig and answer the questions, compile the new kernel,
34 >>> copy it to /boot using the right method which there is a few of and then
35 >>> configure your bootloader if needed. The link you posted explains this
36 >>> in more detail, and may be more complete too.
37 >>>
38 >>> I'm trying to remember what that binary kernel thing is called. I just
39 >>> skimmed the messages so it could be something else or not even in the
40 >>> tree yet.
41 >>>
42 >>> Dale
43 >>>
44 >>> :-) :-)
45 >> Ah, maybe I have a theory what's going on ... maybe there's no news that
46 >> it's time to upgrade the kernel, because it's not meant that the kernel
47 >> necessarily needs to be upgraded ... except that it seems that the
48 >> virtualbox-modules package might have a (unfortunate) dependency on that...
49 > I'm not sure I understand completely why there should be a news item from
50 > portage whenever new kernel sources are updated and downloaded. It is up the
51 > system administrator to configure and build the new sources if desired.
54 gentoo policy is that administrators need to keep their systems
55 up-to-date.  The promise is, if they do so, the dependency system will
56 be reliable.
57
58 The kernel version is apparently an exception to this.  The updating
59 mechanism does not require that this track the synchronization of the
60 portage tree.  Administrators are free to decide what kernel they want
61 to use.  This works - except for virtualbox-modules.
66 > Each time you upgrade your kernel on the host, external modules will require
67 > updating/rebuilding. The set '@module-rebuild' does that instead of having to
68 > re-emerge manually each external module.
71 Yes, in another context, your tip about this helped me to solve a
72 separate problem with vbox.  A quick survey didn't find mention of this
73 facility in the handbook.  Perhaps I missed it.
77 > You seem to be running an old kernel. VBox and its modules changed recently
78 > so these will need to be updated - there may be a conflict with older host
79 > kernels and as you report you've come across it.
82 what is the most efficient way for an administrator to known when a new
83 kernel is available and advisable?
87 > The eselect list you showed does not have a selected kernel source. What is
88 > linked to /usr/src/linux on your system?
89 >
90 > $ ls -l /usr/src/
93 It is properly linked considering the configuration:
94
95 $ ll /usr/src/linux
96 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov  8  2019 /usr/src/linux ->
97 linux-4.19.72-gentoo
100 > Upgrading your kernel and any external modules (inc. VBox's) should fix
101 > whatever is currently giving you trouble.
104 Okay, thank you.