From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:48:13
1 Clicked send too soon...
2
3 On Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:32:34 AM J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > On Thursday, July 31, 2014 08:34:09 AM Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On 31/07/2014 03:55, Walter Dnes wrote:
6
7 <snipped>
8
9 > > > Seems that if I want to emerge and use KDE's "pdf reader", I
10 need...
11 > > >
12 > > > phonon
13 > > > vlc (or gstreamer)
14 > > > libmpeg
15 > > > libmad
16 > > > net-dns/libidn
17 > > > dev-qt/qtwebkit
18 > > >
19 > > > ...***FOR A STINKING PDF READER***. Here's the "emerge -pv okular"
20 > > > output with USE flag listings edited out...
21 > > >
22 > > > [d531][waltdnes][~] emerge -pv okular | sed " s/USE.*$//"
23 > > >
24 > > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
25 > > >
26 > > >
27 > > > Total: 35 packages (34 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 309,990
28 >
29 > kB
30 >
31 > > I'm going to take issue with this post.
32 > >
33 > > Walter, you have completely misjudged what KDE is designed to do
34 and
35 >
36 > are
37 >
38 > > blaming it unfairly. KDE apps are not designed to run in isolation -
39 > > they run in a greater context. That context is the KDE system.
40 > >
41 > > It was designed with the view that an app like okular will be installed
42 > > alongside other similar apps that let you deal with other filetypes.
43 > > Like audio, video, graphics, text. And so on. To do this, it needs the
44 > > libs it is built on. And it needs a graphics toolkit - Qt. The reason
45 > > you got such a long list of packages to install is because you do not
46 > > have any Qt installed at all.
47 > >
48 > > If you did not have any X installed at all and wanted to emerge xpdf
49 you
50 > > would get a similar long list for exactly the same reason.
51 > >
52 > > The point I'm trying to make is that KDe was not designed with you in
53 > > mind. KDE could never work for you because of your viewpoint and that
54 > > viewpoint is in your sig. So please stop blaming KDE for doing what
55 KDE
56 > > does correctly and well. Just realise that you are not the target
57 > > audience.
58
59 +1
60
61 I quite like KDE and it worked quite well on my old netboot (Asus EEE 901
62 with 16GB SSD and 1GB ram)
63
64 This worked quite well for me, until the mainboard fried...
65
66 > > As an analogy most of the world wants a sedan so Toyota makes the
67 Yaris
68 > > for them.
69
70 Actually, because governments are trying to get people to move into
71 smaller cars, car companies ended up with motorised shopping carts like
72 the Yaris.
73
74 People who actually need to travel a lot on motorways do tend to prefer
75 slightly bigger cars like a VW Golf, Ford Focus or Peugeot 308.
76 People with smaller budgets then end up with the Polo, Fiesta or 208.
79 Joost