From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Collecting USE variables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:08:25
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Afaik, they are set by /etc/make/profile/make.defaults, and
3 > overridden/added to
4 > globally by /etc/make.conf, and individually by /etc/portage/package.use.
5 >
6 The handbook
7 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2
8 says they come from base, default-linux, default-linux/x86 and
9 default-linux/x86/2004.3 (as an example). default-linux is empty (which
10 is not confusing, as it may not be empty in the future) but USE settings
11 in default-linux/x86 are identical with
12 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1/ (meaning the file
13 make.defaults in both directories). But are they identical _always_? The
14 latter directory is the target of the symlink
15 /etc/make/profile, but what about the former?
16 > Ah, home users, always thinking the universe revolves around them :-).
17 >
18 > Linux is quite popular in the scientific community, you know-- I'm sure
19 > the admins at (oh, I dunno, let's just make up something) at Berkely
20 > (where the Seti @Home project is based) or any random lab at MIT feels
21 > the same way when they see +kde as a default USE flag.
22 kde or gnome are DE's. I'm sure every member of the scientific community
23 needs at least one, be it "bloated" or "minimalistic", and so putting
24 both of the major ones as default may be an user friendly attitude.
25 >
26 > The default USE flags represent 'sane defaults' for the broadest range
27 > of the Gentoo userbase (which I assume the devs know more about than you
28 > or I-- certainly I, at least).
29 >
30 > So if they feel that a significant enough portion of that userbase
31 > values the emboss flag, who am I to argue? The whole point of Gentoo is
32 > customization, so half of the default USE flags that do apply to me I
33 > disable, and then add another quarter-set of ones that aren't in the
34 > defaults at all-- I spend an hour or two, when installing, just going
35 > through USE flags and setting them up to my personal tastes.
36 Well, I certainly don't know whether a molecular biologist is more
37 computer savvy than, say, a physicist or an engineer, but anyway I'd
38 like to believe they're into Linux rather than Windows.
39
40 Of course the thing is harmless, but adds a bit to the confusion. And I
41 still can't help feeling that this is somewhat similar to a desktop
42 world map showing major cities and a small town that happens to be the
43 author's hometown. :)
47 Jorge
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list