From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] module questions
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:47:28
1 On 31/05/06, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > This appears at the bottom of the console when I
5 > startx:
6 >
7 > [...]
8 > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
9 > Using vt 7
10 > (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance
11 > (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
12 > found
13 > Symbol drmGetClient from module
14 > /usr/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is
15 > unresolved!
16 >
17 > The module *does* exist at the given location but when
18 > I try to modprobe it I get "file not found" error.
19 > Even when I give modprobe the complete path.
20 >
21 > Now, X opens OK, so I don't even know if there is a
22 > problem. The questions are, what is the difference
23 > between the *.o modules under /usr/lib/modules and the
24 > *.ko modules under /lib/modules/<uname>, and why can't
25 > modprobe handle them?
26
27 Just run:
28 ===================
29 # modprobe -v radeon_drv
30 ===================
31
32 without either of the two extensions that you mention above. If you
33 have already added this module in your
34 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file then it may be already loaded
35 (check with lsmod).
36
37 HTH
38 --