From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:33:36
1 On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi folks,
8 >>>
9 >>> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that
10 >>> have
11 >>> done theirs?  Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there issues?
12 >>>  I'm
13 >>> mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I have.  Just a
14 >>> simple
15 >>> works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice.  List issues if you had
16 >>> any.
17 >>>
18 >>> Thanks for the feedback.
19 >>>
20 >>> Dale
21 >>>
22 >>> :-)  :-)
23 >>>
24 >>
25 >> Hi Dale,
26 >>    I've now done 5 stable machines - 4 hardware and 1 VM. I haven't
27 >> had any significant problems on any of them. The update takes well
28 >> less that 30 minutes and, for me anyway, has been relatively pain free
29 >> compared to other historic Gentoo upgrades.
30 >>
31 >> Cheers,
32 >> Mark
36 > Yep.  I agree.  Of all the things that have caused problems in the past,
37 > this was a doozy.  It had the potential to really bork a system.  It appears
38 > to have been a very easy one.  I don't think anyone had a REALLY big problem
39 > with this upgrade.  The devs made sure all the ducks was in line on this
40 > one.  Yeppie for that.
41 >
42 > Dale
43 >
48 I remember expat and e2fsprogs breaking spectacularly with no warning
49 whatsoever back when....
50 That was fun. This update is a complete opposite from those nightmares.
51
52 James Wall