From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev: boot failure
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 02:39:39
1 OK so lots of updates (mostly kde 4.9.3)
2 to several systems today. 2 or the 3 are fine
3
4 One got hosed. Error message upon reboot
5
6 config_devdmpfs=y is required in your kernel configuration
7 for this version of udev to run successfully
8 this requires immediate action
9 mdev: sys/class no such file mdev
10 Error udev-mount failed to start
11
12 Error cannot start udev as udev-mo9unt would not start
13
14 So I booted the system with system rescue
15 and got the partitions mounted
16 (boot and /) / contains /var and /usr
17
18 looking into : /mnt/gentoo/new/usr/portage/sys-fs/udev
19 I cannot tell what version of udev (udev mount)
20 and others (udev-init-scipts ?) were installed
21 and how to roll this back.
22
23 Any guidance on rolling back these errors is most
24 welcome
25
26 James