From: Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What MTA to use to receiving mail for local users?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 22:54:48
1 I would say postfix for sure.
4 On 10 April 2014 16:52, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > On 10/04/2014 17:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 > > Am 10.04.2014 17:32, schrieb Grant Edwards:
8 > >> I use msmtp for outgoing mail, and plan to continue to do so.
9 > >>
10 > >> However, I need to temporarily set up an SMTP server to accept
11 > >> incoming mail from "the Internet" for local users. It is not going to
12 > >> handle sending of email, and I need it _not_ to install something as
13 > >> /usr/bin/sendmail (that's already taken by msmtp). It doesn't need to
14 > >> handle queueing, relaying, or anything other than acting as an SMTP
15 > >> server and delivering mail locally to mbox or maildir destinations.
16 > >>
17 > >> What's the easiest/simplest MTA to set up for that?
18 > >>
19 > >> sendmail? (No... just no.)
20 > >>
21 > >> qmail? (Seems a bit overly complex for my use case).
22 > >>
23 > >> postfix?
24 > >>
25 > >> exim?
26 > >>
27 > >> It's been a long time since I've used either postfix or exim, but I
28 > >> don't remember either of them being too complex to configure.
29 > >>
30 > >> I'm guessing that Portgage is going to object to installing both msmtp
31 > >> and postfix/exim, so I'll probably have to build the rx-only MTA from
32 > >> sources and install it in a non-standard location?
33 > >>
34 > >> Maybe I should just write a simple SMTP server in Python. [That's
35 > >> actually a lot easier than it sounds. Python's standard library has
36 > >> an smtpd class that's pretty simple to use.]
37 > >>
38 > > well, IMHO postfix is pretty easy to setup up. While sendmail is a
39 > > complete nightmare.
40 >
41 > Agreed. Postfix is about as simple as defining MYDESTINATION and you are
42 > good to go
45 > > Exim&qmail - never touched those.
46 >
47 > isn't qmail abandonware? Either that or Dan considers is 100% bug free
48 > and not in need of maintenance.Plus it has that horrible license.
52 > --
53 > Alan McKinnon
54 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
61 Carlos Sura.-