From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What MTA to use to receiving mail for local users?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 22:53:04
1 On 10/04/2014 17:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 10.04.2014 17:32, schrieb Grant Edwards:
3 >> I use msmtp for outgoing mail, and plan to continue to do so.
4 >>
5 >> However, I need to temporarily set up an SMTP server to accept
6 >> incoming mail from "the Internet" for local users. It is not going to
7 >> handle sending of email, and I need it _not_ to install something as
8 >> /usr/bin/sendmail (that's already taken by msmtp). It doesn't need to
9 >> handle queueing, relaying, or anything other than acting as an SMTP
10 >> server and delivering mail locally to mbox or maildir destinations.
11 >>
12 >> What's the easiest/simplest MTA to set up for that?
13 >>
14 >> sendmail? (No... just no.)
15 >>
16 >> qmail? (Seems a bit overly complex for my use case).
17 >>
18 >> postfix?
19 >>
20 >> exim?
21 >>
22 >> It's been a long time since I've used either postfix or exim, but I
23 >> don't remember either of them being too complex to configure.
24 >>
25 >> I'm guessing that Portgage is going to object to installing both msmtp
26 >> and postfix/exim, so I'll probably have to build the rx-only MTA from
27 >> sources and install it in a non-standard location?
28 >>
29 >> Maybe I should just write a simple SMTP server in Python. [That's
30 >> actually a lot easier than it sounds. Python's standard library has
31 >> an smtpd class that's pretty simple to use.]
32 >>
33 > well, IMHO postfix is pretty easy to setup up. While sendmail is a
34 > complete nightmare.
35
36 Agreed. Postfix is about as simple as defining MYDESTINATION and you are
37 good to go
40 > Exim&qmail - never touched those.
41
42 isn't qmail abandonware? Either that or Dan considers is 100% bug free
43 and not in need of maintenance.Plus it has that horrible license.
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com