From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What MTA to use to receiving mail for local users?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:41:15
1 Am 10.04.2014 17:32, schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > I use msmtp for outgoing mail, and plan to continue to do so.
3 >
4 > However, I need to temporarily set up an SMTP server to accept
5 > incoming mail from "the Internet" for local users. It is not going to
6 > handle sending of email, and I need it _not_ to install something as
7 > /usr/bin/sendmail (that's already taken by msmtp). It doesn't need to
8 > handle queueing, relaying, or anything other than acting as an SMTP
9 > server and delivering mail locally to mbox or maildir destinations.
10 >
11 > What's the easiest/simplest MTA to set up for that?
12 >
13 > sendmail? (No... just no.)
14 >
15 > qmail? (Seems a bit overly complex for my use case).
16 >
17 > postfix?
18 >
19 > exim?
20 >
21 > It's been a long time since I've used either postfix or exim, but I
22 > don't remember either of them being too complex to configure.
23 >
24 > I'm guessing that Portgage is going to object to installing both msmtp
25 > and postfix/exim, so I'll probably have to build the rx-only MTA from
26 > sources and install it in a non-standard location?
27 >
28 > Maybe I should just write a simple SMTP server in Python. [That's
29 > actually a lot easier than it sounds. Python's standard library has
30 > an smtpd class that's pretty simple to use.]
31 >
32 well, IMHO postfix is pretty easy to setup up. While sendmail is a
33 complete nightmare.
34
35 Exim&qmail - never touched those.