From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] single core athlon?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 05:18:23
1 On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 08:44:04PM -0600, R0b0t1 wrote
2
3 > I was under the impression that disabling SMP on single core systems
4 > could lead to a performance increase, but wasn't necessary.
5
6 Quote from the "Help" in "make menuconfig" from the CONFIG_SMP item:
7
8 ====================================================================
9 This enables support for systems with more than one CPU. If you have
10 a system with only one CPU, say N. If you have a system with more
11 than one CPU, say Y.
12
13 If you say N here, the kernel will run on uni- and multiprocessor
14 machines, but will use only one CPU of a multiprocessor machine. If
15 you say Y here, the kernel will run on many, but not all,
16 uniprocessor machines. On a uniprocessor machine, the kernel
17 will run faster if you say N here.
18 ====================================================================
19
20 > Is the deciding factor actually processor family? And - there are GCC
21 > versions or distributions that have already dropped support for x86_64
22 > processors? I'd only read about 32 bit families being dropped.
23
24 I think you're misunderstanding me. This is not about dropping x86_64
25 support. Rather, the earliest "Athlon" models came out *BEFORE* AMD
26 introduced 64-bit support, and therefore support only 32-bit mode.
27 Similarly Intel Pentium3 cpus support only 32-bit mode.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications