From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] single core athlon?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 02:44:12
1 On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > There are "athlons" and then there are "athlons". Check the gcc page
3 > https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.4.0/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
4 > for an idea of what's what. You need at least the "k8" version. The
5 > ultimate way to find out is to download the amd64 minimal install ISO
6 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Obtain_the_media
7 > and try to boot off it.
10 I was under the impression that disabling SMP on single core systems
11 could lead to a performance increase, but wasn't necessary.
12
13 Is the deciding factor actually processor family? And - there are GCC
14 versions or distributions that have already dropped support for x86_64
15 processors? I'd only read about 32 bit families being dropped.