From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:41:45
1 On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:18:10 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Pandu Poluan wrote:
5 >
6 > > Indeed. In fact, easier than that.
7 > >
8 > > Just inject false BGP routes into one of the backbone level
9 > > routers, and see how wide the Internet becomes 'impacted'. Do it to
10 > > maybe 5 or 6 other routers that watch guard over the transatlantic
11 > > and transpacific routes, and watch as the Internet fold upon itself.
12 > >
13 > > I was once a certified Network Engineer before I became a System
14 > > Admin, so I know. The soft underbelly of the Intartubes is
15 > > depressingly very vulnerable.
16 > >
17 > > Rgds,
21 > Sounds like the internet could be switched off. So, next question,
22 > how easy would it be to get it going again? Hours? Days? Weeks?
23
24 Nobody knows as we've never had to do it.
25
26 We have no idea how to reboot the internet or even if we can.
31 Alan McKinnnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com