From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:32:43
1 On 29/09/2013 19:55, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > I have *never* merged a critical filesystem on a critical server like
6 > this before.
7 >
8 >> Please see the news item for what it actually is, not something else.
9 >
10 > I see it as an ultimatum that I *must* change a server that has been
11 > running flawlessly for years, or face breakage at some point in the NEAR
12 > future.
13 >
14 > I also view this as a potential 'shot across the bow' warning that
15 > systemd is coming and will be shoved down our throats, like it or not.
16 >
17 > Maybe it isn't, but judging solely by recent events, I think that is
18 > much more likely than not.
21 William himself clarified in this thread why he pushed for this change
22 to happen, and it has nothing to do with systemd.
23
24 As for what it takes to get your system in line with what the news item
25 says, it usually is as simple as moving some files around and editing
26 fstab. Of course, you still need to do your planning and research,
27 especially listing out how much space you have where an is it enough.
28 But that is just routine sysadmin investigation stuff as is always done
29 before embarking on any change or update.
30
31 An analogy might be the manufacturer telling you your car is subject to
32 a recall to replace a brake item under warranty, and your insurance
33 telling you to do it sometime this month or face having your insurance
34 voided. Yeah, it's inconvenient but once done is actually not such a big
35 deal. mechanics work on brakes all the time all over the world and very
36 very few people have accidents as a result.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com