From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:29:29
1 On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:43:12 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > >> The relevant advantage of btrfs is being able to make snapshots. Is
4 > >> that worth all the (potential) trouble? Snapshots are worthless when
5 > >> the file system destroys them with the rest of the data.
6 > >
7 > > You forgot the data checksumming.
8 >
9 > Not at all, I'm seeing it as an advantage, especially when you want to
10 > store large amounts of data. Since I don't trust btrfs with that, I'm
11 > using ZFS.
12
13 You already have snapshots with ZFS. If you're happy with it, keep using
14 it.
15
16 > > If you use hardware RAID then btrfs
17 > > only sees a single disk. It can still warn you of corrupt data but it
18 > > cannot fix it because it only has the one copy.
19 >
20 > or it corrupts the data itself ;)
21
22 Well, any filesystem is capable of that, and anybody is capable of making
23 vague comments about it.
24
25 I switched from ZFS to btrfs a while ago. ZFS is more mature, but the
26 licensing issues and the lack of recent source code mean it isn't really
27 going anywhere whereas btrfs is in the kernel and under active
28 development. If you're already using ZFS and happy with it, you are
29 probably better off sticking with it for now.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 The trouble with life is that you are halfway through it before you
36 realize it's a "do it yourself" thing.