From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:01:27
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:16:48 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> > I would run btrfs on bare partitions and use btrfs's raid1
6 >> > capabilities. You're almost certainly going to get better
7 >> > performance, and you get more data integrity features.
8 >>
9 >> That would require me to set up software raid with mdadm as well, for
10 >> the swap partition.
11 >
12 > There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains anything
13 > of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each disk and let
14 > the kernel use the space as it wants.
15
16 When a disk fails a swap partition is on, the system is likely to go
17 down. Raid is not a replacement for backups.
18
19 >> The relevant advantage of btrfs is being able to make snapshots. Is
20 >> that worth all the (potential) trouble? Snapshots are worthless when
21 >> the file system destroys them with the rest of the data.
22 >
23 > You forgot the data checksumming.
24
25 Not at all, I'm seeing it as an advantage, especially when you want to
26 store large amounts of data. Since I don't trust btrfs with that, I'm
27 using ZFS.
28
29 A system partition of 50 or 60GB --- of which about 10GB are used --- is
30 not exactly storing large amounts of data, and the data on it doesn't
31 change much. In this application, checksums would still be a benefit,
32 yet a rather small one. So as I said, the /relevant/ advantage of btrfs
33 is being able to make snapshots. And that isn't worth the trouble.
34
35 > If you use hardware RAID then btrfs
36 > only sees a single disk. It can still warn you of corrupt data but it
37 > cannot fix it because it only has the one copy.
38
39 or it corrupts the data itself ;)
40
41 >> Well, then they need to make special provisions for swap files in btrfs
42 >> so that we can finally get rid of the swap partitions.
43 >
44 > I think there are more important priorities, its not like having a swap
45 > partition or two is a hardship or limitation.
46
47 Still needing swap partitions and removing the option to use swap files
48 instead simply defeats the purpose of btrfs and makes it significantly
49 harder to use.