From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:02:22
1 On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:16:48 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > > I would run btrfs on bare partitions and use btrfs's raid1
4 > > capabilities. You're almost certainly going to get better
5 > > performance, and you get more data integrity features.
6 >
7 > That would require me to set up software raid with mdadm as well, for
8 > the swap partition.
9
10 There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains anything
11 of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each disk and let
12 the kernel use the space as it wants.
13
14 > The relevant advantage of btrfs is being able to make snapshots. Is
15 > that worth all the (potential) trouble? Snapshots are worthless when
16 > the file system destroys them with the rest of the data.
17
18 You forgot the data checksumming. If you use hardware RAID then btrfs
19 only sees a single disk. It can still warn you of corrupt data but it
20 cannot fix it because it only has the one copy.
21
22 > Well, then they need to make special provisions for swap files in btrfs
23 > so that we can finally get rid of the swap partitions.
24
25 I think there are more important priorities, its not like having a swap
26 partition or two is a hardship or limitation.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Being politically correct means always having to say you're sorry.