From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:23:09
1 On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:16:48 +0100, lee wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I would run btrfs on bare partitions and use btrfs's raid1
5 >> > capabilities. You're almost certainly going to get better
6 >> > performance, and you get more data integrity features.
7 >>
8 >> That would require me to set up software raid with mdadm as well, for
9 >> the swap partition.
10 >
11 > There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains anything
12 > of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each disk and let
13 > the kernel use the space as it wants.
14
15 So, while I tend not to run swap on RAID, it isn't an uncommon
16 approach because if you don't put swap on raid and you have a drive
17 failure while the system is running, then you are likely to have a
18 kernel panic. Since one of the main goals of RAID is availability, it
19 is logical to put swap on RAID.
20
21 It is a risk thing. If your system going down suddenly with no loss
22 to data in your regular filesystems isn't a huge problem (maybe this
23 is Google's 10,000th read-only caching server) then by all means don't
24 put swap on RAID.
25
26 The important thing is to understand the risks and make an informed decision.
29 Rich