From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 16:27:39
1 On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:22:59 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains
4 > > anything of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each
5 > > disk and let the kernel use the space as it wants.
6 >
7 > So, while I tend not to run swap on RAID, it isn't an uncommon
8 > approach because if you don't put swap on raid and you have a drive
9 > failure while the system is running, then you are likely to have a
10 > kernel panic. Since one of the main goals of RAID is availability, it
11 > is logical to put swap on RAID.
12
13 That's a point I hadn't considered, but I think I'll leave things as they
14 are for now. I have three drives with a swap partition on each. My system
15 uses very little swap as it is, so the chances of one of those drives
16 failing exactly when something is using that particular drive is pretty
17 small. There's probably more chance of my winning the lottery...
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]