From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapshots?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:01:14
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:22:59 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> > There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains
6 >> > anything of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each
7 >> > disk and let the kernel use the space as it wants.
8 >>
9 >> So, while I tend not to run swap on RAID, it isn't an uncommon
10 >> approach because if you don't put swap on raid and you have a drive
11 >> failure while the system is running, then you are likely to have a
12 >> kernel panic. Since one of the main goals of RAID is availability, it
13 >> is logical to put swap on RAID.
14 >
15 > That's a point I hadn't considered, but I think I'll leave things as they
16 > are for now. I have three drives with a swap partition on each. My system
17 > uses very little swap as it is, so the chances of one of those drives
18 > failing exactly when something is using that particular drive is pretty
19 > small. There's probably more chance of my winning the lottery...
20
21 It seems far more likely for a drive to fail when it is used than when
22 it is not used.