From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:33:22
1 2014-12-01 12:40 GMT-06:00 <meino.cramer@×××.de>:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [14-12-01 19:16]:
3 >> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >> > What is the difference here?
5 >> > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
6 >> > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
7 >> > down?
8 >> >
9 >>
10 >> About the only thing the kernel might have a role in is turning off
11 >> the power. Almost all of the shutdown logic is in userspace and it
12 >> isn't surprising that copying scripts between distros is going to
13 >> cause issues since the whole service management component varies
14 >> GREATLY across distros. Maybe if you're using systemd you could copy
15 >> between distros since that is more standardized, but even then there
16 >> can be differences.
17 >>
18 >> In a traditional sysvinit system usually shutting down is accomplished
19 >> by changing runlevels, which immediately starts/stops anything in
20 >> inittab (generally only gettys) and calls a script which does all the
21 >> actual work.
22 >>
23 >> If the issue is that userspace shuts down fine but the system reboots
24 >> instead of powering off that could be a couple of things which
25 >> shouldn't be too hard to track down. An obvious question is whether
26 >> the hardware even supports being powered off in the first place - this
27 >> isn't an ATX motherboard. Powering off a system can sometimes be
28 >> remarkably tricky depending on how standardized the platform is. I
29 >> was reading an article on it a few years ago and I think linux
30 >> actually implements several different mechanisms that get tried in
31 >> series, with the final fallback being a halt without powering off.
32 >>
33 >> --
34 >> Rich
37 > Hi Rich,
38 >
39 > AH! :) Thanks for the informations!
40 >
41 > From what you say, it is a kernel problem, since the kernel
42 > is the one who switches off the lights...
43 >
44 > But even if I use the same kernel as used for the Debian system
45 > it does not work...
46 >
47 > May be shutdown says "power off the system" and the kernel understands
48 > "reboot the system"?
49 > I mean: In principle the kernel would be able to poweroff the system
50 > but there are some communications difficulties with the guys from
51 > userland? ;)
52 >
53 > Best regards,
54 > Meino
58 I've always turned off across linux distros (BSD is other story) with:
59
60 # shutdown -hP now
61
62 the help says :
63 -h: halt after shutdown.
64 -P: halt action is to turn off power.
65 -H: halt action is to just halt.
66
67 I've not seen you using the -P flag.