From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:51:52
1 Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> [14-12-01 20:36]:
2 > 2014-12-01 12:40 GMT-06:00 <meino.cramer@×××.de>:
3 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [14-12-01 19:16]:
4 > >> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> > What is the difference here?
6 > >> > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
7 > >> > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
8 > >> > down?
9 > >> >
10 > >>
11 > >> About the only thing the kernel might have a role in is turning off
12 > >> the power. Almost all of the shutdown logic is in userspace and it
13 > >> isn't surprising that copying scripts between distros is going to
14 > >> cause issues since the whole service management component varies
15 > >> GREATLY across distros. Maybe if you're using systemd you could copy
16 > >> between distros since that is more standardized, but even then there
17 > >> can be differences.
18 > >>
19 > >> In a traditional sysvinit system usually shutting down is accomplished
20 > >> by changing runlevels, which immediately starts/stops anything in
21 > >> inittab (generally only gettys) and calls a script which does all the
22 > >> actual work.
23 > >>
24 > >> If the issue is that userspace shuts down fine but the system reboots
25 > >> instead of powering off that could be a couple of things which
26 > >> shouldn't be too hard to track down. An obvious question is whether
27 > >> the hardware even supports being powered off in the first place - this
28 > >> isn't an ATX motherboard. Powering off a system can sometimes be
29 > >> remarkably tricky depending on how standardized the platform is. I
30 > >> was reading an article on it a few years ago and I think linux
31 > >> actually implements several different mechanisms that get tried in
32 > >> series, with the final fallback being a halt without powering off.
33 > >>
34 > >> --
35 > >> Rich
36 > >>
37 > >
38 > > Hi Rich,
39 > >
40 > > AH! :) Thanks for the informations!
41 > >
42 > > From what you say, it is a kernel problem, since the kernel
43 > > is the one who switches off the lights...
44 > >
45 > > But even if I use the same kernel as used for the Debian system
46 > > it does not work...
47 > >
48 > > May be shutdown says "power off the system" and the kernel understands
49 > > "reboot the system"?
50 > > I mean: In principle the kernel would be able to poweroff the system
51 > > but there are some communications difficulties with the guys from
52 > > userland? ;)
53 > >
54 > > Best regards,
55 > > Meino
59 > I've always turned off across linux distros (BSD is other story) with:
60 >
61 > # shutdown -hP now
62 >
63 > the help says :
64 > -h: halt after shutdown.
65 > -P: halt action is to turn off power.
66 > -H: halt action is to just halt.
67 >
68 > I've not seen you using the -P flag.
71 That's why the manufacturer of the Arietta G25 - Acmesystems said
72 to use shutdown -h -H now for that purpose:
73 http://www.acmesystems.it/qa
74 Second question below the title "Arietta G25 just on top of the
75 page...