From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newbie - Missing IPtables
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:26:12
1 Tim Igoe wrote:
2 > cd /usr/src/linux
3 >
4 > make menuconfig
5 >
6 > edit the kernel options to set up the iptables parts needed in the
7 > kernel (can't rememebr where they are - not just at my normal box atm)
8 >
9 > then install the new kernel like you did originally
10
11 Just a reminder here, all the answers are already in this thread ;)
12
13 In the newer kernels (>= 2.6.10 ??) there is a search functionality
14 callable with the key "/" .
15 so pressing "/" , Enter Keyword "iptables" will show something like this :
16
17 | IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT) (IP_NF_IPTABLES)
18 | Location:
19 | -> Device Drivers
20 | -> Networking support
21 | -> Networking support (NET)
22 | -> Networking options
23 | -> Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains) (NETFILTER)
24 | -> IP: Netfilter Configuration
25 | Depends:
26 | [...]
29 when all is configured, save the configuration and type:
30
31 #mount /boot ; make && make modules_install && make install
32
33 or use your preferred kernelmaker program.
37 > emerge iptables to get the user space tools to control the kernel
38 > iptables chains.
39 >
40 > Eldon Ziegler wrote:
41 >
42 >>I successfully installed my first gentoo but didn't get iptables. The
43 >>HOWTO says, "As for the kernel all you must do is enable iptable
44 >>support." but not how to do that? Do I have to redo the complete
45 >>install? (about 12 hours).
46 >>
47 >>Thanks
48 >>Eldon Ziegler