From: Anton Shumskyi <efsinua@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] atom+nouveau
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 17:41:54
1 Hi=) I have asus eeepc with Atom N570, Intel NM10 motherboard and nvidia
2 ION 2 (GT218).
3 Don't know if it's related, but I had the same black screen with official
4 nvidia drivers long time ago, so I stick to nouveau instead. It was all
5 normal until wayland came around and xorg-server fails every couple
6 releases.
7 So I have these issues time to time
8
9 1. X is dead, black screen on boot even on console without gnome, can login
10 and type commands, but everything is black, can connect over ssh
11 fix: rollback to previous working xorg-server (or unmask newer if
12 available), then recompile all installed xorg drivers again and everything
13 is working
14
15 2. X is alive, but when loading gdm nothing happened, black screen,
16 notebook unresponsive, can't even go to tty1 ctrl+alt+f1, gdm eat all cpu
17 and memory, then after 5-15 minutes crushes and freezes completely even on
18 ssh
19 fix: connect over ssh if possible or liveusb, disable display manager, so
20 only terminal is loaded on boot.
21 that's gnome issue, so I manually disable wayland for it instead of default
22 at
23
24 /etc/gdm/custom.conf
25 [daemon]
26 WaylandEnable=false
27
28 enable dm and load gnome on xorg and everything is working
29 normally wayland is ok, but sometimes is not
30
31 3. Also there can be issues with xorg and nouveau firmware compatibility,
32 and you can try to install/uninstall sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware package
33 to test
34 with that firmware you can have hardware acceleration enabled over vdpau,
35 otherwise you can only use software renderer and video is sometimes luggy
36
37 4. Sometimes xorg libinput crushes and I have mouse+touch+keyboard not
38 working with wayland, so I rollback or uninstall it, recompile xorg server
39 and drivers and stick to X instead of wayland
40 usually I have at xorg-drivers INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard libinput mouse
41 synaptics wacom"
42
43 Maybe with kde it has similar issues, haven't tested
44
45 currently I have wayland and X working normally and I have these package
46 versions
47 x11-base/xorg-server-1.19
48 sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware-340.32
49 gnome 3.22
50 sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-4.8.12, will be 4.9.0 soon but that's unrelated
51 in my case
52
53 Hope some of it may be useful for you=)